Wednesday, November 30

Starbonics




A decade or so ago when the Starbucks bandwagon first rolled into town, it was of no consequence to me. Sure, I like the way roasting French vanilla coffee beans smell late at night (who doesn't?), and the stuff certainly isn't as vile as tea, but the long and short of it is, I am not a coffee drinker. I'll try some of B's every now and again to make sure that I still don't like it.


It goes something like this:
*Sip*.
Yup, still don't like it.

This and my vanilla ice cream preference are probably two of my parents’ greatest disappointments. (Heh, well, top three anyway).

ANYway, so there's this drive-through Starbucks by my former place of employment, and even as a non-coffee drinker I somehow managed to frequent that window on a near daily basis since everyone I worked/lunched with was clearly fascinated and/or addicted. As merely a coffee voyeur, I never really "got" the fascination. We'd hit the drive-through on the way into work, on the way back to the office from lunch, and sometimes even on the way to lunch *cough* EtNed *cough* as well. People from near and far had heard of this rare and highly sought after service; -~~the Starbucks Drive-Through~~-, and they'd talk about it with remarkable frequency.

I tried Starbuxian hot chocolate once, but didn't like it (I'm very picky about hot beverages, ok?!) so I was always just along for the ride. No, no thanks, none for me. Yes, really. I don't like coffee. *Blush*.

On occasion, someone would exclaim, "What?! How could you not like coffee?!" much in the manner my high school friends used to teasingly say "What?! What do you mean you've never seen "Heathers?!" or "What?! You're not really going to smoke that, are you?!". I'm very much certain I've been quite clear about all of those concepts.

It later came to my attention that, if you had the cohones, you could ask for your Starbucks beverage in a plethora of different ways, none of which indicated on their sparse menu. And this didn't apply to just coffee! From here, it wasn't long until I had broken the Starbonics code and figured out that what I really wanted was not a "hot chocolate", but was instead a "venti-skim-extra-hot-no-no-whipped-cream-thank-you, hot chocolate". Turns out, not only is this a supremely tasty and cockle-warming beverage, but it also gives me a buzz so efficient that I shake for hours.

Plus, I just really like saying "venti".

This very morning, I arrived at work at 7:15. That's 7:15am. Did you know they make one of those? Yeah, it sucks. It's dark out. Anyway, so I went to starbucks.com to find the closest establishment to my new place of employment and, lo and behold, there's one like 4 blocks away. DC must be one of the last places on Earth where there's not at least one Starbucks per 100 yard land mass. Bummer, thought I, that's too far of a round trip to slip out unnoticed (because I am still sitting in the center of the office equivalent of grand central station), which sucks exponentially more when your 5:15am wake-up demands caffeination. And if you know me at all then you know I mean DEMANDS.


I then looked up the calories in my venti-skim-extra-hot-no-no-whipped-cream-thank-you, hot chocolate... and was shocked to find that it's over 250! Over 259 even! Eep!

So, *sigh*, I'm having some lovely "lite" blueberry yogurt right now instead.


Do they make caffeinated yogurt?
They damn well should.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what - you've never seen Heathers!

NoodleP said...

Yes - I would like a venti quad half caf - haf soy half skim 2 pump suger free vanilla, two pump sugar free cinnimon, extra hot, extra foam, dry latte.

You have heard the new rule right - the harder the Starbuck's order the bigger the asshole!

The guy in front of Jeff at the Evil Empire actually ordered this and yes very big asshole and I believe that it puckered!!

BTW - I am SOOO proud of you! You actually got something at the Evil Empire!!

Beakerz said...

F Starbucks.
Evil is right.
Brother-in-law loves em. Sister loves em. Blah blah blah loves em.
Know who doesn't? ME! and I DO drink coffee.
If I ever wanna fuel my own car, I'll drink a "venti" and pick the car up and run with it!
Shake? Shit...I just outta my skin with that crap. Tastes like they burned some beans, ground them up via dog-chewing and ran some Folsom Prison hot water through it!

MMmmm...That's a venti, double hot, no foam, half whipped, skim vanilla decaf with a cinnamon stick!

Freakin' A-wipes.

How about this? Coffee. Big. Black. To go. Done!

Scottie said...

Make mine a Decaf. and whole fat milk. Hell, forget the milk altogether; just drop a big glob of lard in it and whip the shit out of it until it turns into a giant, frothy pile of goo. I want to be able to hear the sound of my arteries clogging with each ::SLURP:: of the straw. I want to watch my blood pressure raise as that vein in my forhead explodes due to the pressure of sucking that goo up through the straw. I want ...

On second thought. I'll just have a tall decaf cafe mocha. :)

Mmmmm Goo!

honeykbee said...

Straw?! That's a whole other facet I didn't even consider.

And wtf is a "pump"?

NoodleP said...

pump = squirt of flavor...

Don't even begin to ask my what a 'dry' latte is - my best guess is that it is actually a cappacino but no one allreted this guy that is would have just been better to order one.