Monday, May 30

Happy Memorial Day

(warning: the following post contains uncharacteristically heavy shit)

A year ago today, Donna and I were assisting masses of the Greatest Generation to and from their seats on the mall, in celebration of the WWII Memorial unveiling. Much to my surprise, driving the golfcart was the least rewarding aspect of that memorable memorial day.

In other Memorial Day news, the search for my late, great grandpa Sidney's WWII medals has officially concluded. After years of contacting authorities, from senators to librarians, my mother received a package in the mail on Saturday. The package contained my grandfather's previously unclaimed 6 medals; sharpshooter badge, honorable service lapel button, WWII victory medal, carbine bar, and the big enchilada, the European African Middle Eastern Campaign medal (with silver star attachment). And no letter or return address.

Don't forget to thank a veteran today for all the freedoms that you enjoy daily.

No comments: